Low carb cocktails exist. And they are two-step simple: Measure carefully and concentrate on low carb mixers.
- 17 low carb cocktail, mocktail and poptail recipes
- Six essentials quickly stock your low carb bar
- Infused spirits, low carb mixers and The Boston Shaker Method
Mix up the unexpected. Something unique – and maybe a little weird. Enjoy your favorite adult low carb drinks without guilt, or be adventurous and try a new low carb cocktail.
The Best Picks low carb cocktails have very unexpected ingredients: artichoke, avocado, ginger, mint, sage… One is bigger than Texas. Another vodka martini is blue.
Classic Low Carb Drinks
1. Low Carb White Russian: Learn how to make a creamy, guilt-free White Russian.
2. Vodka Collins: Enjoy this traditional favorite without all the carbs.
3. Low Carb Cosmo: The Cosmo gets a makeover! This recipe cuts the carbs.
4. Bloody Mary: An excellent, low carb recipe for the spicy classic.
5. Low Carb Sangria: This Sangria recipe uses traditional ingredients. Add seasonal mulling spices during the holidays or winter months.
Healthy high fat avocados get frisky. From Low Carb High Party, a visual step-by-step low carb avocado Margarita.
The Bobby Burns
The Bobby Burns low carb scotch cocktail uses Benedictine to add unique herbal flavor. It transforms your Scotch into something special.
Hot buttered rum gets a low carb makeover with fresh mint and sage.
The low carb Cynar Sour cocktail uses an Italian artichoke liqueur with a burnt-sugar, earthy, bittersweet flavor. Interesting…
Ginger Infused Vodka
A Happy Dragon cocktail made with homemade ginger-infused vodka. Also featured: kumquat garnished Gingertinis and ginger vodka tonics.
Herb Infused Vodka?
Capture the flavor of the season by making infused herbal liquors. Ashley English gives a simple how-to on her blog, complete with photos.
Infusion Herbs to Try:
Cilantro: Pair with ginger, chile peppers, figs, cucumbers, cumin seed
Basil: Pair with strawberries, cucumbers, orange peel, peaches, pineapple
Lemon Verbena: Pair with blueberries, cherries, cinnamon, currants
Tarragon: Pair with lemon thyme, celery, lemon, pink grapefruit
Dill: Pair with cucumber, coriander, cilantro, capers, lemon
Mint: Pair with apples, cardamom, whole cloves, grapes, peaches
Rosemary: Pair with lemon, orange slices, apricots, plums
Thyme: Pair with allspice, bay leaf, celery, cranberries, sage
Lavender: Pair with raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, lemon
Big Texan Bourbon and Grapefruit
This bold bourbon cocktail has flavor as big as Texas. Easily modify this recipe by using sugar free syrup or Splenda.
A great low carb vodka-lime aperitif: cilantro-spiked with eucalyptus-infused syrup. *Substitute sugar-free syrup during the recipe.
Low Carb Old Fashioned
A timeless taste for smokey conversation. The low carb Old Fashioned transports bourbon into a cool sweet sip.
Low Carb Mocktails
Not every low carber indulges in alcohol. There are a few ways to make a low carb “mocktail” – a fake cocktail without the alcohol, but just as festive and delicious.
- Whip fresh or frozen berries in a blender with ice and a dash of lime.
- Mix two ounces of fresh-squeezed orange or grapefruit juice (6.4 carbs per 2 ounces) with sparkling water, diet tonic or seltzer to make a low carb spritzer.
- Try a splash of Splenda-sweetened lime and/or lemon juice with spring water served over crushed ice.
Cucumber Mojito Mocktail
This low carb Mojito mocktail features refreshing cucumber and Crystal Light sugar-free flavor.
Low Carb Poptails?
Don’t “drink” your drink. Have some fun! These low carb cocktails are cleverly disguised as popsicles! Adults only, please. Obviously these are NOT meant for minor children.
52 Kitchen Adventures recommends the 25 Best Boozy Popsicles if you’re looking for ideas. Most of the recipes can be modified to lower the carbs.
Black or White Russian Poptails
Smashed Raspberry Lemon Poptails
Crush low carb raspberries and zesty lemons (add heavy cream or full-fat yogurt too!) for these high-fiber, fruity low carb popsicles.
Build a Low Carb Bar
Six basics plus a few mixers turn out a surprising number of classic low carb cocktails. You’ll also have enough variety to invent your own signature low carb drinks.
The Essential Six
These spirits have trace amounts of carbs and make a wide variety of low carb drinks.
Vodka: The versatile star of your liquor cabinet. Use vodka in basic drinks: vodka tonics, screwdrivers and martinis.
White Rum: A classic ingredient in daiquiris and Mojitos.
Gin: Enjoy with tonic or in a martini.
Tequila: The best are made from 100 percent agave, so be sure to check the label.
Bourbon: Drink “on the rocks,” in a Manhattan, an old fashioned or whiskey sour.
Cognac or Whiskey: Enjoy whiskey and cognac straight up, or with sugar-free mixers.
Low Carb Drink Mixers
The easiest way to make your favorite (formerly) sweet cocktails low carb is to replace the sugary ingredients with artificially sweetened ones, like Splenda or simple sugar-free or flavored syrups.
There are a few substitutes (like tweaking your recipe), but to get an extremely close “faux” version, there’s really no way around it.
Using unsweetened lemonade, Crystal Light flavors or no-added-sugar cranberry juice gives you the ability to add just the right amount of flavor.
Fresh low carb fruits (There are 43 kinds!) like berries, lemon and lime are old standards and mix well with sugar-free (diet) tonic water or club soda.
Try these low carb cocktail mixers:
- Clean, natural orange flavor and not too sweet.
- One ounce has 7 carbs, so be careful or reduce the amount in the recipe.
- ½ ounce of Vermouth has less than 2 carbs.
- White Vermouth: for martinis.
- Red Vermouth: for Manhattans.
- Bitters doesn’t taste bitter, but it helps blend the drink. Bitters comes in dozens of flavors. You only need a dash. Typically, there is 1 carb in 1/4 teaspoon of bitters.
Mixing 101: The Boston Shaker Method
Professionals prefer a two-piece Boston shaker to mix cocktails: a thin, tapered, glass-and-metal combination shaker.
The metal shaker is versatile and fast, keeping the drink cold longer. It forms a perfect seal around almost any size glass.
- One: Measure ingredients and pour into the glass. And crushed or cracked ice. Cover the glass with the shaker and gently tap to seal.
- Two: Pick up the assembly and flip it over, holding the glasses together. Shake it up and down in a slight oval, counting to 15.
Almost Zero Carb Meal Plan
The Almost Zero meal plan is three easy days, one aggressive technique, and major fat loss.
The plan is designed to break even the worst stall, and burn off large amounts of stored fat – in 3 days.
- The Technique
- 75 Recipes (60 under 1 net carb)
- Sample Menus
If what you’re doing isn’t working, get the meal plan now.
Keep Calm and Low Carb