Starting a low carb diet means different choices at the grocery store. Those middle aisles can be a savage place. Don’t panic.
- Low carb foods, arranged by section
- Pantry, condiments, baking, beverages
- Printable low carb grocery list
Get organized before you shop with your low carb grocery list. It’s incredibly simple: choose any item on the list and you’re safe.
The items included in the printable grocery list are outlined below, along with tips and recommendations for making great low carb choices in every section.
Printable Grocery List
Click the image to view, print or save the grocery list.
Meat and Poultry
Any type or cut of meat is fine. For the best health, choose grass-fed or organic meats, avoiding antibiotic, pesticide and grain residues.
- Chicken (whole or parts)
- Beef steaks and tips
- Bacon, ham and sausage
- Pork loin, chops or steaks
- Pork or beef ribs
- Beef or pork roasts
- Ground beef
- Ground turkey
Good in a pinch and better than higher carb alternatives.
- Cold cuts such as turkey breast and pastrami (Check for added sugars.)
- Pepperoni sticks or slices
- Salami and bologna
Any type of seafood is fine- except imitation crab meat. Make sure to check the labels if you’re buying any frozen varieties.
Omega 3 fat levels are higher in wild caught seafood.
- Fresh or frozen, easy-to-peel shrimp
- Fresh or frozen fish
- Tuna in oil or water
- Fresh or canned salmon
- Fresh or frozen scallops
Eggs and Dairy Products
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
- Cheese (Hard cheeses such as cheddar and Parmesan.)
- Cheese (Soft cheeses such Muenster and Farmer’s.)
- Greek Yogurt (Choose plain, full fat and aim for less than 7 net carbs per serving.)
Vegetables are a main event on any low carb foods list. Low carb veggies replace sugary side dishes and add incredible variety to meals.
- Bell peppers
- Lettuce (Large leaves act as the “bread” for sandwiches.)
- Leafy green vegetables such as spinach and kale
- Onions and garlic (for flavorful cooking)
- Sprouts for salads
- Summer squash such as zucchini
Zoodles are mock noodles made with zucchini (and other firm veggies like carrots).
Zoodles may be eaten raw or cooked, opening up lots of possibilities: mock Alfredo, fettuccine, spaghetti, pad thai and zoodle pasta salads.
This inexpensive wonder creates uniform, curly noodles from zucchini, cucumbers, carrots, sweet potatoes, turnips and other round or long vegetables.
Veggie Spiralizer Bundle
Veggie spiralizers are great for making curly fries, frittatas, salad garnishes and of course, zoodles.
Veggie Spiralizer Bundle includes a premium storage bag, cleaning brush and zoodle recipe book.
- Fits in your hand, stores in a drawer
- Built in finger guard
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Sturdy BPA-free plastic
The Inspiralized Cookbook transforms more than 20 vegetables and fruits into delicious meals that look and taste just like your favorite originals.
Zucchini turns into pesto spaghetti; jicama becomes shoestring fries; sweet potatoes lay the foundation for fried rice.
Veggie Spiralizer Cookbook
Top 98 Veggie Spiralizer Cookbook includes a step-by-step guide on using a spiralizer, a list of spiralizer-friendly vegetables and recipes, including:
- Paleo-Friendly Carbonara
- Roasted Carrot and Coconut Crostino
- Chicken and Zucchini Noodle Bowl
- Mediterranean Zoodle Platter
- Zucchini Rice with Sweet Cider Dressing
- Parmesan Broccoli Noodles with Tomatoes
- Gluten-Free Parsnip Puttanesca
- Avocado and Beet Omelet
- Rutabaga Spaghetti with Truffle Marinara Sauce
- Summer Prosciutto and Cottage Cheese Pasta
Fruits are an optional item on your low carb grocery list. They can be added once your weight and health are stable.
Some people can handle the sugar in fruit and still be healthy and slim, others can’t.
Not sure which fruits are low carb enough? Here are 43 low carb fruits with 1 to 10 net carbs per serving to enjoy.
- Choose fresh, local fruit in season and stick to berries which are lower in sugar.
- Eat fresh fruit with a fat (peanut butter, whipped cream, cheese). It slows the blood sugar spike.
- Try avocados: A great snack with lemon juice or balsamic, or make guacamole for dipping low carb veggies.
Nuts and Seeds
- Nuts: Almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, coconut products and especially macadamia nuts (Nuts last longer if you freeze them.)
- Seeds: Sunflower, pumpkin, watermelon and sesame seeds
When stocking your low carb kitchen, (consult our low carb kitchen quick-start guide) add these items to your list of low carb foods:
- Canned tuna, salmon, crab, shrimp, sardines, anchovies
- Vienna sausages, canned luncheon meat (Good in a pinch, but go light on processed meats, as real meat is healthier.)
- Tomato products: Canned tomatoes and tomato paste (Look for the brands with the lowest carb count.)
- Sauces: Pasta sauce, pizza sauce and Alfredo sauce with no added sugar or thickener
- Canned vegetables: Green chiles, roasted red peppers, chipotle peppers, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes in oil (A little adds lots of flavor.), hearts of palm, green beans, greens, okra (Check labels for no added sugar.), sauerkraut
- Chicken and/or vegetable stock
- Nut butters (Choose natural, unsweetened. Refrigerate after opening.)
- Sugar-free dill pickles or relish. (Use for tuna or egg salad.)
- Mustard (Any except sweetened mustard, especially honey mustard.)
- Cider and wine vinegar (Use balsamic vinegar sparingly.)
- Most bottled hot sauces (Tabasco)
- Most salsa (Check the label.)
- Soy sauce (Avoid soy sauce if you are gluten sensitive.)
- Mayonnaise (Look for the brands with the lowest carbs.)
- Sugar-free salad dressing
- Lemon or lime juice (1 carb per tbsp)
Cooking or Baking Ingredients
- Whey protein powder: plain, vanilla and chocolate flavors
- Erythritol, xylitol and other sugar alcohol sweeteners
- Herbs and spices (Watch for mixtures with added sugars.)
- Extracts (Vanilla, lemon, almond, etc. Avoid any with sugar.)
- Broth or bouillon
- Cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- Gelatin (plain)
- Xanthan gum (Good for thickening and binding.)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sesame oil for salad dressings
- Almond flour, coconut flour, Carbquik baking mix.
Nature’s Best ISOPURE Whey Protein
Unflavored and zero carb. Pure 100% whey protein isolate, stripped of fat, carbs, fillers, sugars and lactose.
Isopure protein powder is also available in 19 flavored varieties.
EZ-Sweetz liquid sweetener is made of sucralose and has no bitter aftertaste. Zero carb, zero calories, zero impact.
Liquid De-Bittered Stevia
EZ-Sweetz’s de-bittered stevia blend has no unpleasant aftertaste. This blend has none of the characteristic bitterness of typical stevia sweeteners.
Kiva All Natural Xanthan Gum
Kiva all-natural xanthan gum is non-GMO, vegan and gluten-free. Kiva’s twin pack costs less than a single of the other brands.
Xanthan gum thickens soups and sauces naturally. It adds volume, elasticity, and structure to bread and baked goods.
Organic Coconut Oil
Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Oil is essential for rapid fat-burning. Fats from coconut oil aren’t stored. Instead, coconut oil fats are used immediately for energy.
Coconut oil can last up to two years without spoiling. Coconut oil gives food a nice “buttery” (not coconut) flavor, and is one of the healthiest choices for cooking and baking.
La Tourangelle Avocado Oil is all-natural, expeller-pressed, non-GMO and Kosher. La Tourangelle has a fruity roundness – great for both sweet and savory recipes.
Performance MCT Oil
Left Coast’s pure MCT oil blend is identical quality to the ‘Bulletproof’ brand. MCT converts into energy faster than other oils, ignites your body’s metabolic rate and helps maintain healthy levels of cholesterol.
MCT oil is an easy way to increase your healthy fats. Add to salads, smoothies or your latest Bulletproof coffee fasting plan for immediate, all-day energy.
Triple filtered, pharmaceutical grade, BPA-free container, USA-made.
CarbQuik baking mix has 90% less carbs than Bisquick. No sugar, high fiber, high protein.
- 3 lb box makes 90 biscuits, just add water.
- (2 net carbs per biscuit)
Low Carb Baking Mix
For bread machines or hand-baked breads. Bob’s Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix is all-natural and Kosher, with only 5 net carbs per serving.
- Pork rinds (Crushed, these are a good substitute for bread crumbs.)
- Beef jerky or beef sticks
Rapid Keto Meal Plan
The Keto Beginning is a highly recommended program – especially if you’re not ready for Atkins Maintenance phases or an increase in carbs every day.
Bust through plateaus, eat more carbs and uncover a life you love. Restore your weight, balance hormones and lift mood naturally.
This carb cycling keto meal plan slides you into fat-burning mode, without needing to go strict low carb.
If what you’re doing isn’t working,
…this is your chance to change your body, meet your goals and achieve the balance you’re searching for.